Are You Living With a Compulsive Gambler?
Gam-Anon's 20 Questions
- Do you find yourself constantly bothered by bill collectors?
- Is the person in questions away from home for long, unexplained periods of time?
- Does this person ever lose time from work due to gambling?
- Do you feel that this person cannot be trusted with money?
- Does this person in questions faithfully promise that he or she will stop gambling, then beg and plead for another chance, yet gamble again and again?
- Does this person ever gamble longer than he or she intended to, until the last dollar was gone?
- Does this person ever gamble to get money to solve financial difficulties, or have unrealistic expectations that gambling will bring the family material comfort and wealth?
- Does this person immediately return to gambling to try to recover losses, or to win more?
- Does this person borrow money to gamble with or to pay gambling debts?
- Has this person's reputation ever suffered due to gambling, even to the extent of committing illegal acts to finance gambling?
- Have you come to the point of hiding money needed for living expenses, knowing that you and the rest of the family may go without food and clothing if you do not?
- Do you search this person's clothing or go through his or her wallet when the opportunity presents itself, or otherwise check on his or her activities?
- Do you hide his or her money?
- Have you noticed a significant change in the gambler as his or her gambling progresses?
- Does the person in question consistently lie to cover-up or deny his or her gambling activities?
- Does this person use guilt induction as a method of shifting responsibilities for his or her gambling activities?
- Do you attempt to anticipate this person's moods, or try to control his or her life?
- Does this person ever suffer from remorse or depression due to gambling, sometimes to the point of threatening self-destruction?
- Has the gambling ever brought you to the point of threatening to break up the family unit?
- Do you feel that your life together is a "nightmare?"
If you are living with a compulsive gambler, you may answer YES to at least six of the above questions.
Courtesy of Gam-Anon
Contact the Louisiana Legislative Auditor Hotline if you suspect theft, fraud, waste or abuse of public funds by anyone.
Fight Fraud, Waste & Abuse: 1-844-50-FRAUD
When providing information to the LLA Hotline, please include sufficient detail (describing who, what, when, why, and how) to allow us to fully evaluate your information. Although we will consider anonymous information, providing us with your name and telephone number will allow us to contact you with any additional questions that we have.